Sunday, September 11, 2011

DIY Laundry Suds

My sister/assistant found this easy Laundry detergent on Yellow Brick Home, a SUPER awesome blog. We thought we would give it a go.

Ingredients:
1 Assistant
1 Cup of Borax
1 Cup of Arm & Hammer All Natural Super Washing Soda
1 Bar of Fels-Naptha Soap (Some use Dove or Ivory soap too)
1 Cute Jar to put it in

My assistant (pictured below) and I got all the ingredients at ACE Hardware. Crazy right? Apparently, this joint has everything you could ever want! I see stocking stuffer shopping there in my future.

First, line up all your ingredients, and put your assistant to work on grating the Bar of Soap
Photobucket


My assistant was bright enough to bring her antique cheese grater. I can't imagine grating this on the janky plastic grater I have. This took no time at all.

Photobucket


Measure your powdered ingredients

Photobucket


Mix well and put in your cute jar.

Photobucket


This maybe took us 30 minutes and only cost about $10 for all the ingredients. But there is enough Borax and Arm & Hammer for many more batches of this easy, at-home, laundry detergent.

It only takes about a tablespoon per laundry load.

Try it out and let me know how you like it!

2 comments:

  1. My mom swears by her Fels Naptha bar for stain removal. Has had one in her laundry room for as long as I can remember. Two questions: 1) Does it work well? I mean, like do your clothes look really clean? and 2) does it smell good?
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it works just fine! And I don't like the smell, but you can't smell it on your clothes or while it is washing. Totally worth trying at least once. If you hate it, then you haven't lost much money.

    ReplyDelete