Sunday, December 9, 2012

DIY Mug FAIL

It has been a while since I have given this side of my life some TLC. About a year in fact! And it takes an epic fail to bring me back to my good ol' DIY Blog. There is something about Christmas that brings out every crafter and diy'er! This year is no different. I had the perfect project for the perfect present that would be cheap and easy!

You see, Pat and I have a baby on the way... and he sprained his ankle... So now, there will be a few months straight with Short Term Disability pay... one from him and 2 from me. Yikes. This was not expected. But our shrinking financial situation is no reason to give up on the tradition of giving gifts! Our family is full of gift givers... good gift givers. I won't let them down.

Now my challenge, find something awesome, and not so expensive to give to my loving family and friends! After scouring Pinterest and all my favorite blogs for awesome DIY gifts, I came across the ever popular His + Her Sharpie Mug DIY on A Beautiful Mess, you have seen it I am sure. I read through all the comments and found that if I want to do this the right way, the dishwasher safe way, I need to get the Pebeo Marker. And so I did. I did a test run for Pat and myself... I only want to give quality gifts... I followed the directions verbatim, then washed them in the dishwasher.

This is what came out...

2012-12-09091349, Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Exactly what went in. That was the goal, right? In theory, yes. But I wanted it to DARKER, less "Hand-Made" looking. As you can see, when I went over the marker several times, it acted as a dry erase marker...  just erasing what was there previously.

Now we are on to Plan B. Find a new plan. I have 15 days to figure out a better present and make them. Any suggestions? (Baking is not my strong suit).
 
Perhaps I need to invest in a sewing machine and I can sew things for Christmas. There is always next year, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment