Saturday, April 17, 2010

"The bright day is done, & we are for the dark." -W. Shakespeare

“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.” ― Charles W. Eliott

I have a slight fear of picking up a new book... I know I will grow to love and know the characters the covers hug. And when I am through reading- a small piece of me is left in the binding because I don't quite feel whole not knowing their continued story. I've lost some of my dearest friends by simply closing a book. The friends I was saddest to stop knowing were my friends in The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. The book came to me at a time when I really needed friends and strangers at the same time. I sat on my couch on a warm Saturday afternoon and read the entire thing without getting up (well, I think I subconsciously moved myself to the floor). After I was done with the book I felt a moment of sadness, and a great loss come over me. I was severely disappointed to not know the rest of their story, and the people they would continue to encounter. I was, however, moved to start writing letters to my own friends, as the book itself is based upon the written correspondence between friends.This hardly works in the day and age of email, texting and tweeting. My my dear friend in ChiTown and I have been on-again off-again pen pals since we graduated high school, but it always slows due to our busy lives. I would love to get new stationary and write to all of my friends, and they also return the favor. 

Perhaps a new goal has arisen... a pen pal in the making.

Here are some "Nuggets" I got from the book as well. 
Nugget = something that moved me!

"I can't think of anything lonelier than spending the rest of my life with someone I can't talk to, or worse, someone I can't be silent with."

"Men are more interesting in books than they are in real life." (I don't necessarily believe this to be true anymore, but, found it quite true at the time.)

"I have a parrot in my keeping too- her name is Zenoba & she does not like men." (I mostly loved this because my Chicken Little doesn't like men, or any one for that matter...)

"...I sometimes think I prefer suitors in books rather than right in front of me. How awful, backward, cowardly, and mentally warped that will be if it turns out to be true." 


No comments:

Post a Comment