Monday, October 18, 2010

Remembering why...

About a year ago I read an infamous book, Skinny Bitch. I knew if I read it what the outcome would be. There wasn't a doubt in my mind. I put it off for quite some time and then finally I was ready as I had been flirting with the idea of vegetarianism for years. I read the book and was absolutely disgusted with the crap I had been putting into my body for 24+ years, not to mention the slaughtering of animals. When I finished the book I was vegan. I looked up delicious recipes and made them for my Mustang Man. He was a sport, and was "supportive."  (I am selectively forgetting the comment he made when I initially told him.) Well, for 2 months I was strong as a vegan and for 8 months I was strong as a vegetarian (cheese is a vice of mine and I can't give it up. It is my own personal heroin). And now, I am ashamed to say that I have been eating meat again. Not every meal, and not normally as the main ingredient. But none-the-less, my stomach has been attempting to digest the hormones, antibiotics, and adrenaline filled flesh.

But today a conversation I had was like a slap in the face. My co-workers and I were talking about the choice of being a vegetarian and why we had or hadn't made the choice. In voicing my reasoning I was once again shocked by the crap I had been putting into my body, again.
While we were having this conversation I was also perusing through WholeLiving (a Martha Stewart publication) and realized I need to get back on track. Health is something that is very important to me, so why poison myself, my loved ones and my surroundings?
Today starts a new day, and what better day than Monday?

No comments:

Post a Comment