Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Life time Juxtaposition

The last few weeks I have been feeling very nostalgic. Everything seems to remind me of home, or a moment in time. Whether it is someone wearing my mother’s perfume, or the dairy cows I can smell in the morning, even the moisture in the air can take me back several years to a camping trip or something. It all takes me back and gives me a funny feeling in my tummy. I don’t know that it makes me miss home, but it makes me want to create that same important feeling, the feeling that I will remember later in my life.


Last night, CatMT posted about a Bonnie Raitt cover, sang by Bon Iver. I was trying in vain to play it on my Android. As I put my head on my pillow, I was hoping it was I Can’t Make You Love Me. When I arrived at work I remembered that I REALLY wanted to hear the cover, so again, I went to CatMT’s blog and pulled it up. Sho’ enough, it was I Can’t Make You Love Me! Although Bon Iver certainly doesn’t belt it out the way Bonnie does, it took my heart back to my first year in high school when my darling sister sang that song in voice lessons. Man she could have given Bonnie a run for her money! And like everything she does, it was amazing. I still try to get her to sing it every once in a while…

Bon Iver’s version reminded me of (although possibly quite cheesy) Maxwell’s This Woman’s Work. The sentiment in his voice, connecting to the memories I have with the song made me feel overly emotional and nearly on the verge of tears.


It also took me back to those weekend mornings when we would be rallied out of bed, breakfast was scarfed and then it was on to chores. Bonnie Raitt would be be blasting though the speakers of our old stereo and I can still remember the warm sun spots on the carpet where I would lay down just listening to her sing… procrastinating.



Now that I am older, wiser, and quite possibly hipper, this Bon Iver cover fits perfectly into my life. The “Skinny Love” singer melts my soul with his breathy vocals, and this song in particular has created a new memory in my heart and created a new stamp in my life to reflect back to. Perhaps I will remember the wedding planning, or the chill in the air this morning… who is to know until I hear it again a few years down the road.

3 comments:

  1. Oddly enough, I was thinking about this song a few days ago. But I don't remember it being Bonnie Raitt on weekend mornings that Dad would play. I remember it being Rod Stewart. Then again, it was probably both + JB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Rod Stewart was playing DURING breakfast..??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to read posts I am mentioned in :) You're the best - thanks for thinking I sing lovely.

    ReplyDelete