Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Trying to get it right… again.

In my past life, I was very physically active and very healthy. I was at the gym every day… well, nearly every day. But I was never a beefcake, In fact, even when I was able to curl 20 lb dumbbells my muscles were never bigger than they are now. “Ligament strength” they say. Truth be told, I don’t know if large muscles are ever a girl’s motive to work out. It is usually weight loss, a flat stomach and nice bum. For me, it is health. I don’t want to lose weight, or get those six pack abs (well that isn’t a “goal” per say, would I be upset about it? No.) I just want to be healthy, live a happy life and feel good in the process.

The last 6 months have REALLY slipped for me. I have been eating processed foods, meat occasionally, drinking lots of red wine and haven’t looked at my tennis shoes for… about 6 months. They are collecting dust under my desk at work.


 The way things have been going I feel weighed down, depressed, VERY low on motivation & self esteem, and tired 100% of the day. I even feel like my social skills have been suffering. How could they not be? Today I read this article on Yahoo! about food myths. I read things I already knew, and it DID encourage me to get my rear in gear, we all need reminders! Health is one of the most important things to me and I am so frustrated I let myself get this far out of control.

 Tonight my fiancé and I will be heading to Lifetime Fitness to start up our memberships again. We have one month and one day until the wedding, and neither of us are where we want to be. Processed foods are a way of the past, starting today! If food doesn’t have nutritional value, it is not going into this body. The most difficult part of this? I am giving up Dr. Pepper again. Being healthy takes a lot of work, more work than most know... it isn't a diet, it is a life style change... and I need to get back to it!

My Health Goals: (whether extended or immediate)

  1. Eat more whole foods (80% of daily diet)- need to create meal plans
  2. Increase Energy- Increase Motivation
  3. Attend yoga classes for physical/spiritual/mental health
  4. Correct Body Fat : Muscle Ratio
  5. Run 3-5 miles without stopping
  6. Work out in the morning twice a week 5:30 AM with neighbor Jackie
  7. Build shoulder muscles (for wedding pictures!)
  8. Increase core strength (reduces visible food baby)
  9. Buy Vibram 5 Fingers for barefoot running initiative
If anyone has tips on how to get back on track, and stay on track I would love to hear them! I am begging for all the encouragement and motivation I can get!

1 comment:

  1. you go girl! I as well have been meaning to work out in the morning. It is just sooooo hard to get out of bed. but we can do it! How about we cant carpool unless we work out in the morning? hahaha yeah right.

    ReplyDelete